Middlesex Parent Association (MPA)
Executive Board (Two-year term)
- Lead Co-Chair presides over monthly meetings of the MPA
- Meets with Administration
- Represents MMS at BOE, budget, subcommittee & CDSP meetings on a regular basis
- Secondary chair shadows Lead Chair and moves into lead in the second year
Program Chairs (3) (one from each grade)
- Attend and organizes all MPA meeting programs at the direction of the MPA Co-Chairs
- Ensures that parliamentary procedure is followed
- Coordinates Grade Level Coffees: recruit hosts, solicits refreshments
- Provides refreshments for all MPA meetings and Old Board New Board Coffee in May
- Records the minutes of the MPA and Executive Committee meetings
- Submits minutes to the co-chairs for approval and emails them to the Webmaster for posting on the MPA website
Treasurer & Assistant Treasurer (1 Treasurer; 1 Assistant Treasurer)
- Maintains the MPA budget
- Pays invoices
- Processes reimbursements
- Maintains relationship with MPA bank
Nominating Chairs (1 Chair per grade, of which one shall be the Lead Chair of the Committee)
- Works with the committee to fill the MPA volunteer slate
- Distributes invitations to the annual Old Board New Board Coffee in May
- Collects and disburses reports/folders from Committee Chairs at year-end
Beautification (1 Chair; 1 Vice Chair)
- Provides assistance accenting entrance at MMS
Book Fair (2 Co-Chairs and 8 members)
- Coordinates annual Fall book fair in the Library using outside book vendor.
- Uses the book fair to generate excitement of reading with students by working with book vendor, librarians and teachers.
Budget Representative (2)
- Attends CDSP Meetings Sept-May
- Attends Board of Ed, town, CDSP and administrative meetings January–April
- Presents at February BOE Hearing and Town Hearing
- Reports at monthly MPA meetings during Budget Season
Career Day (2 Co-Chairs and 7 members)
- Organizes the spring Eighth Grade Career Day, including obtaining speakers and providing refreshments.
Eighth Grade Party (1 Chair, 1 Vice Chair, 3 Members)
- Oversees the June party at the Depot, working closely with the Assistant Principal and Student Council
Eighth Grade Promotion (1 Chair, 1 Vice, 5 Members; 6th and 7th grade parent volunteers)
- Plans and organizes the events surrounding the promotion ceremony held on the last day of school
- Recruits committee members
- Works closely with the Assistant Principal
Fifth Grade Liaison (1 Chair)
- Coordinates with office and guidance all activities in the Spring related to incoming 5th grade families.
- Point person for communicating with elementary schools and for assisting nominating in the recruiting process in February – April
Fundraising (Annual Event) (1 Chair; 1 Vice Chair)
- Prepares for and publicizes an annual fundraising event or check writing campaign usually held in the spring
Information Book (1 Chair, 1 Vice Chair)
- Compiles and prints MMS address and phone directory. (Most of this work is done in the spring and the week preceding and following the opening of school in the fall.)
Information Book Sales (1 Chair; 2 reps per grade)
- Sells directories at Open Houses and at MPA meetings in the fall
- Recruits volunteers to help out at sales tables
Library Volunteer Coordinator (1)
- Organizes volunteer staff for MMS Library
- Sets up schedule
- Serves as liaison between library staff and MPA
Magazine Drive (1 Chair, 1 Vice Chair and 3 Members)
- Oversees Magazine Drive, staff and organize prize booth in late August through October
Message Center Coordinators (2)
- Schedules staffing for message center including scheduling reminders and maintenance of the volunteer and sub list
- Maintains the office and supplies needed
MMS Helping Hands (3, One member from each grade)
- Help MMS families dealing with a serious illness, accident, or death to an immediate family member, i.e., parent or child, by soliciting other MMS families for meals, carpools, and other support.
- Confidentiality is necessary
MMS On Call
- Provides assistance to various committees and events on an as-needed basis
MPN Editors (1 Chair; 2 editors)
- Receives submissions and distributes weekly MPN e-mail newsletter via Constant Contact
Music for Youth (1 Chair)
- Publicizes upcoming Music for Youth programs at the school MPA meetings
- Collects & deposits donations
- Acts as host at the performances
New Family Orientation (1 Chair; 1 Vice Chair)
- Works with guidance department to coordinate New Family Orientation, held one week prior to the start of school. Parents attend informational coffee while students tour the school. Pizza lunch organized by guidance after tour.
- Includes welcome coffee and recruiting existing students to help give a tour in late August. Must be available the week before school starts.
Nominating 6th, 7th, 8th (3-4 Members per Grade with nice representation from all elementary schools)
- Prepares the slate of officers for the following year
- Assists chair in preparing hand-off job description folders that include job description, monetary reimbursement form, list of committee members and their contact information.
Open House Committee ( 2 Reps per Grade from different elementary schools)
- Purchases refreshments for Fall Open Houses
Publicity (1 Chair and 1-2 Members per Grade)
- Keeps in touch with teachers
- Prepares and delivers all articles & photos to local newspapers and MMS Newsletter
- Keeps the cafeteria bulletin board up-to-date
PTO Special Education Representative (2 Members)
- Evaluates PTO-sponsored programming to identify opportunities to improve inclusion of all students. Works with relevant PTO Committee chairs to build community via recommend programs or other changes.
- Works with CDSP Special Education Co-Chairs to communicate among the elementary and high schools and share best practices and findings.
- Works with SESS facilitators to coordinate meetings with building administrators, staff and parents to discuss special education issues and trends within the building.
- Gives monthly input to PTO Chairs for monthly CDSP school updates, cc CDSP Special Education Co-Chairs.
- Provides updates at the PTO executive board meetings as determined with building PTO
- Gives any relevant feedback to CDSP Special Education Co-Chairs during the Board of Education budget process.
- Attends SEPAC and Board of Education Special Education Subcommittee meetings as appropriate
- Responsible for refreshment at coffees
Spiritwear (1 Chair; 1 Vice Chair and 1 Member)
- Purchases, sells and distributes spirit wear throughout the school year at all school functions attended by parents. Must be available to assist in sales at Open House in the fall
- Committee members must be available in August when the designing and ordering of merchandise is done
Staff Appreciation (3 Chair (one per event) , 6 Members)
- Plans and provides food, beverages and paper products for Back-to-School Faculty Luncheon which is held in August before students return to school. Must be available to attend the luncheon.
- Organizes Staff Holiday Luncheon in December
- Organizes Teacher Appreciation Lunch or Breakfast in May
School Supply Sales (1 Chair; 1 Vice Chair))
- Organizes the school supply sales fundraiser. Parent orders are solicited and placed in the spring and then supplies are received and distributed in July.
UNICEF (2 Co-Chairs and 5 Members)
- Supervises the MMS UNICEF Drive in October.
- Runs three bake sales, one per grade level, the week before and after Halloween.
Webmasters (1 Chair; 1 Vice Chair)
- Maintains website at PTO Co-Chairs’ direction
- Facilitates sales of used textbooks between sellers and buyers, primarily through email.
- Contacts both Assistant Principals to finalize school textbook list in Spring. Start communication about sales in June.
Youth Asset Representative (1-2 Chairs)
- Representative to attend monthly Youth Asset Committee meetings