November 25: Early Dismissal
November 26 & 27: No school, Thanksgiving recess.
Important Notes & Reminders:
- CELEBRATING AND TRAVELING DURING COVID-19 (click attachment)
- Are you getting the Middlesex Parent Newsletter? Sign up here! Don’t miss out on the updates throughout the school year.
- LIBRARY BOOKS: Attention Students and Families! Look around your house. Do you still have library books from last Spring? Chances are, yes!! They are missing their true home. Currently there are still 200+ books checked out from last year when our remote learning began. Now is the perfect time to bring them into the Library, no fees attached! Bring in your books and get a free gift from the library. Now….while supplies last. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MMS SPIRITWEAR: Show your Middlesex pride and support the MPA. Check out our Blue Wave Guy masks, just $8, and MMS car magnets, only $5, at MMS Spiritwear SignUpGenius. Simply order with a credit card, and items will be distributed to your child in Flex. Please email any questions to Lindsay Westbrook (email@example.com)
The Idea Program – 9th Grade Achievers Class Seeking Mentors
The Idea program is seeking mentors for the 9th-grade Achievers program, which is the wonderful culmination of the Idea program in our district. As part of their year-long study, 9th graders seek the help of a mentor to guide them along their project.
It is a meaningful and impactful way to inspire these students without a huge time commitment. Following is the description of what the role entails:
The role of the mentor is to provide professional guidance in the subject area of the student’s project. Students will reach out to schedule meetings with their mentors about once every six weeks, with a goal of meeting for 30-45 minutes each time.
Meetings will take place virtually and will be student-driven, meaning the student will come to the mentor with a direction and purpose for each meeting. The mentor does not need to prepare anything in advance, nor will he/she be asked to devote time outside of these meetings to the student’s project.
This year in particular we are seeking help in these specific areas:
- Nonfiction writing (particularly in biographies, but any nonfiction writer would be wonderful!)
- Coding : Java focus
- Coding: C++ focus
- Sewing (specifically clothing)
- Anyone with a background involving gender identity/gender norms
If you would be interested in becoming a mentor, or know someone with expertise in these areas who may be interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to connect students with mentors ASAP since their projects are already underway this year. Thank you!
FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH ON REMOTE LEARNING DAYSMeals will be provided for free and reduced eligible students on their distance learning days. Meals should be ordered by emailing Meghan Bendish email@example.com and include the name of student(s) receiving meals. Please also note any allergies in the email. Meals should be picked up between 10am and 11am at the bus circle of Middlesex Middle School. A member of our Food Service Staff will be there to place your meal in the trunk of your vehicle. BUS TRANSPORTATIONBus schedules, information, and transportation details are available on the Darien Public Schools website. If you opted out of bus service, you will not see a bus assignment in ASPEN, but you can always opt back in at any time with written notice to Kate Barbieri, Transportation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be happy to add your child to the appropriate bus within 48-72 hours but will strive to get students assigned as soon as possible. As a reminder, all students and drivers will be required to wear a mask on the bus unless there is a medical reason that prevents students from safely wearing a mask. QUESTIONS ABOUT REOPENING? Visit the Darien Public Schools Reopening Hub a great resource for all communications, details on Darien’s Reopening Plan, FAQs, and more. Please direct additional questions to email@example.com FOOD SERVICESThis year Darien Schools have a new food service company. Children may purchase a lunch from Nutrislice or they can bring their own lunch. Nutrislice has a convenient link which allows you to order your child’s lunch up to one week ahead of time. All orders must be made prior to 7:30 a.m. of the day. For more information, please read the following:Nutrislice letterhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1SBnCsmX64No3vyyvbd0cTGX__rrJg01N/viewNutrislice Online Ordering Informationhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1MDytbvZu9l2fFb5BAvqz6iRCetj1L-wV/viewFree and Reduced Lunch Information and Applicationhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1cirIuZfi2fr4iQIQFzRc46pG-8N10d4T/view